Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 75 - Weekend Plans

I know it's a little early to be talking about weekend plans, but it is 4th of July we are talking about.  My family is getting together to do the whole fireworks, bbq and lake thing.  Very typical Minnesota.  Anyway, I am talking about it because Day 75 was a leftover day, and I am planning the meals for Saturday.  I am going to use a similar approach as I did at the last BBQ.  Which is to plan meals around what we have around.  So here is my tentative plan.

Breakfast
Breakfast Burritos

Lunch   
Burgers (Standard Beef and Salmon)
"Mac" and Cheese - but using veggies like cauliflour instead of noodles.

 Dinner
Steak - have exactly decided, but this is what I want to do.  This would have to be purchased.
Side Salad - may purchase some vegatbles to add in here - we have the lettuce.
Some kinda CARB - want something starchy here... thinking about twice baked potatoes, but might require too many purchased ingredients - could do homemade bread..  
Considering doing a fruit ambrosia for dessert... again purchases required here.

Okay so dinner is looking delicious but a little ill in terms of stuff we have around.  The ambroisa would use the watermelon we have around, but would require other items (expensive fruit items to be exact) to really shine.  Steak - still havsies on, but it is truly a favorite to have at the lake.

Today we finally got to averaging $4.97/day - whoo hoo! That means we could spend a little extra for the BBQ, especially since my mom will probably provide us a few meals too.  So maybe we can justify steak... still not sure. 

UPDATE: We also have brats lying around, so we could do that for lunch and burgers still make a half-way decent dinner.  

5 comments:

  1. What about potato salad to go with the steaks? Would that avoid buying ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cathy, you are right about that, but I really don't like potato salad... though most of my family does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, well, I would agree with you. I don't care for potato salad either. :-)

    It just seems to be a Fourth of July thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great (no-mayo) potato and green bean salad, if you're feeling the need for potato salad that isn't gross (not a fan of mayo-based potato salads).

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,2243,158183-233202,00.html

    Can sub whatever dry spices/herbs you have on hand (basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, etc.) and a little mustard for the italian seasoning packet for a little more tang and to use stuff that's on-hand instead of purchasing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Shana - in general I am not a fan of the mayo-based salads...(potato, egg, coleslaw and so on). It's sort of odd because I like mayo - not sure what the deal is.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails