Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 74 - Made Tortillas

Remember the tortillas I talked about, well I finally got around to making some. 

Here they are while cooking - these are the first two attempts, they got a little more round-like as time went on, but not by much.

I also made up a breakfast burrito mix to go inside.  Here it is before I scrambled it up.

1 Can Black Beans
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Can (4 oz) Diced Chilies
6 eggs.

This recipe makes a lot of burrito material, so bear in mind that you can freeze it.  Cooked scrambled eggs freeze okay as opposed raw which don't freeze at all.  You can also freeze individually made burritos, for a quick/easy meal to warm-up later.  Here's a good tutorial on doing this up.  Keep in mind the eggs will turn black when mixed with canned beans... nothing is wrong, the black bean powder just "dyes" them.  It looks "not-good", but tastes fine.

Okay - here's our final product:


I melted a little cheese on top, and wrapped it up as best I could (considering the shell was pretty misshapen).  The tortillas was were a little thicker and chewier than I am used to, but they didn't taste heavy.  I also like the "joy" of eating a truly warm tortilla, not just microwave warm.  I discovered that cooked tortillas will last at least a day in the fridge - perhaps more.  Also I froze extra dough to see how that works out too - keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh. You have read my mind word by word! I have so been meaning to try making a lot of breakfast burritos. I did one (with store bought 6+ day old "crunchy" tortillas that were sitting in the fridge, courtesy of mystery guest). So good! I am not a bean person, so I did it with just eggs and a bit of cheese and ketchup.

    I had forgotten about that tutorial, thanks so much! I will definitely have to try it now. You said that cooked tortillas dont last more than a day in the fridge? How about already-made burritos? Any insight on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TJ - The cooked tortillas could potentially last longer, but that's how long they lasted in my fridge, before I gobbled them up. As far as fully made burritos - I couldn't say from experience, but I think 2 - 3 days would be totally fine. Maybe more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can't wait to try making my own tortillas. I've been sitting on the recipe, waiting for my AC to be installed (I know, I'll stop whining about that soon).

    Tonight, I've got a steak thawing in the fridge, a fresh onion and bell pepper. I'm making Fajitas (and home made tortillas). Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay homemade tortillas. good to know mine aren't the only ones that come out looking like amoebas. Mine also never last more than a day, also because of nomming. So long as they aren't overcooked, and are wrapped up pretty tight, they'd probably last 3 or 4 days, even.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails