Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 54 - Finally - something with soybeans.

After looking over many of the great recipes that were sent in, I decided to make something "all my own" with the other available ingredients on hand.  Basically it's soy bean stir fry.

Update: Thanks for all the great recipes, by the way, it certainly helped me get a handle on what I could do and what I couldn't.  Frankly, I did my own thing, because I need to avoid the store and this is the easiest way.

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup - Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup - Wasabi Mustard 
(Dijon would be an perfectly good substitute - we just happened to have this on hand)

1 tsp - Cumin
Cumin is a excellent spice for making meatless dishes have a richer flavor
1 tsp - Onion Salt
1 tbs - Olive Oil
1 tbs - Rice Vinegar

3/4 - 1 Cup cooked Soy Beans
1 Cup Rice
1 Pepper Chopped
2 Roma Tomatoes Chopped
Handful Spinach Leaves

Throw sauce and spice ingredients into the pan first.  

Throw in the chopped peppers 

Then Soy Beans 

I let this simmer for about a few minutes.  Nothing really needed to be cooked, but I though this would let the flavors absorb into the soybeans and soften the peppers as I don't like mine super crispy.  Later I added the rice, and let that simmer for a bit too.  

Lastly, I threw in the tomatoes and spinach. 

Doesn't that look colorful?

I thought this was super easy to throw together, it was also really delicious and satisfying.  I couldn't believe it was both healthy and vegetarian.  Perhaps I ate three bowls of it - completely guiltless though.  FYI - this goes well with a Zinfandel too - I tested that out for you.  

One final note - the soybeans were good, but I think I could probably make this same thing with a number of different bean varieties.  The soybeans were also a little crunchy, I couldn't be sure if this was just how they are or if I didn't make them quite right.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog :). Love the concept of this one...I could certainly stand to save some money on healthy eating so it'll be interesting to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks really good. I'm so glad that we are coming into summer with fresh veggie availability!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hey! Love your blog - what a clever idea!! Thank you for stopping by mine and leaving some comment love. ;o) I've added you to my reader, I'll be following to see how ya do on spending and also to nab some good foodie makes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails