Saturday, May 1, 2010

A sad garden story

I didn't tell you guys but last week at the "Farmer's Market",  I bought some plants.  1 catnip plant, 3 raspberry bushes and 3 tomato plants. I didn't add any of this to my food total because we won't be able to harvest anything until the 90 days is complete.

So here's the picture update on my garden's growth. 

The Catnip


The Raspberries


The Tomatoes - ahh! Apparently I am a tomato murderer! (manslaughter really - as I had no idea what I was doing) - yet I loved them so much! Sheer agony!  All that remains are the pathetic looking "label posts" marking them like grave stones.

After discussing this conflicting situation at the farmer's market with some other newbies to gardening, (but not as new as me), they told me that I had planted them to early.  Apparently the guy selling me tomatoes is as crooked as a used car salesmen, letting me buy them too early in the season so they die and I have to buy more. This Minnesota weather is not for the faint at heart or newly sprung tomatoes... Apparently late May would have been far more appropriate.  Thankfully the catnip and raspberries are much hardier.  

Does anyone else garden?  Would you have any tips for a newbie like me?  


2 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. Poor little tomato plants.

    I don't know about Minnesota, but in Colorado, it is too early to put out tomatoes. I usually shoot for the end of May. I buy my plants a week or so early though and "harden them off" by putting them outside during the day and bringing them back inside during the nights. The first couple of days, I put them out into the shady areas of my yard (Colorado sun is intense), and the next couple of days, I put them into the areas where I intend to grow them so that they become accustomed to the right sun levels.

    Also, if they have any blooms on them when you buy them you have to pinch those blooms off. That is the hardest thing to do, but you want your baby plant to put its strength into growing and not into nurturing "too early blooms". You will be rewarded with many more tomatoes later on.

    You also need to plant them deeper than you might think, which gives the stems more support. I generally bury them as deep as the lowest set of leaves.

    email me at islandcat98 at yahoo dot com if you have other questions!!

    P.S. Check your State Cooperative Extension website for lots of information about your local growing seasons, pest control, recipes, tips, etc. A wealth of information and it is all free (or at least paid for by your tax dollars so you might as well take advantage of it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cathy,

    The ladies at the farmer's market told me late May as well.

    Thanks for all the great information! I will update when I actually get some good tomato plants going.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails