Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 38 - over $300 down and 50 ish days to go.

First things first - I went to costco and spent $100.  Actually - I spent $101.08 to be specific.  It was actually a part of 2 trips, so not as heinous as it sounds.  I also made a haul, so overall I'm not completely freaking out yet.  Here's the goods (keep in mind everything is in large "costco" size):

 
Active Yeast 2 lbs $3.69
Quaker $6.99
Kalamata olives (1.7 lbs) $6.79
Eagle Mills Flour 20 lbs $5.99
Sugar 10 lbs $4.75
Fiber One Bars $7.05
Salmon Burgers (12) $9.24
Green Beans $6.39
Vegetables $5.99
Organic Lemon Juice (1 liter) $3.89
Colby Jack 2lbs $4.59
Soy Milk (case) $11.49
Watermelon $2.99
Bananas (.44/lb) $1.32
Blackberries (18 oz) $3.49
Tomato Sauce (case) $5.99
Diced Organic Tomatoes (case) $7.99
3 dozen eggs $2.45



Some of the bulk items - such as Sugar, Flour and Yeast seem a bit excessive. However, I want to try this bread making thing, and I am pretty sure I'll be using it up.  Also, a bit back I read in The Tightwad Gazette that you can save a lot by buying yeast in bulk.  I am pretty sure that is correct too.  As it was explained in the book, even though I might not use all the yeast, the per unit cost is sooo much less that it's still cheaper.  For instance I paid approx. $1.50 for 3 (.25 ounce) packages.  If I manage to make 1.75 ounces I will already have made my money back, and the rest is gravy. 

Okay, so no doubt that is a lot of food - but this also means I am running low on "cash".  Which in tern means it is time to take drastic measures!  I am going to have to resort to something painful and cumbersome.  What is it?  Menu Planning.  boo hiss.

I think Menu Planning sounds just plain awful, but it just might be the only way - to make it to the end, and I don't want to fail.  I read some advice online about Menu Planning and it was mostly boring.  By read some advice I mean I just jumped from blog to blog trying to find out where it got good. No surprise here, but it never really did. 

Okay, so I lied, there is one good part, you are supposed to find recipes that work for you with the ingredients you have.  I can see the "strategic" side of this so my first step in Menu Planning is to conjure 20 different dinner plans that I can make with just what is in my house.  This is a little easier, because I have a lot in my house.  Also a disclaimer: In many cases where I linked a recipe, it is just to give an idea of what I'm talking about - may not be exactly what I decide to do.   

Okay onto the plans:

1-Beef Stew + Mashed Taters (could maybe do this twice)
2-Bratworst Stews 
3-Brats - yep plain ol'
4-Salmon Pasta Stuff
5-Salmon Filet with Steamed Veggies (could maybe do this one thrice)
thanks future brother in law for free salmon!!!!
6-Soybeans,Rice,GreenBean Stirfry
7-Chicken Chili
8-Salmon Burgers
9-Breakfast for dinner (Waffles +Sausage)
10-Lasagna Soup - this time with Turkey
11- Sai Thai with Soybeans
12-Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
not sure this one is a "meal"
13-Swedish Meat Balls (made with Turkey)
14-Enchiladas
15-This Chicken Recipe
16-Chedder Brats 
...um, yes, I went to school in Wisconsin.  Why would you ask that?
17-Breakfast Burritos (Black Beans, Eggs, Restaurant Style Salsa, Cheese)
18-Jerk Chicken
19-Ramen Noodle Stir-fry Meal
20-Spaghetti

Most of the meals listed here lend themselves well towards leftovers really well, except for the grill food.  I think between some of our "quick foods", sandwich supplies, and of course leftovers we will be good on lunches.  Also, we have bananas, FiberOne bars and eggs to cover most breakfasts.   Regardless, these 20 meals should last us more than 20 days because it's unlikely we will need to cook everyday (leftovers - so forth).  Also, I have a couple more ideas that use stuff I have on hand, but may require a few purchased items.  Such as Sushi (sans fish), and I have been meaning to try some tofu.  It's been a while since I have had any.

Oh - and I talked to my mom about this already (and she had some good thoughts), but anyone have thoughts on what to do with "Ground Ham"... or "Brussel Sprouts".  A previous roommate left these to us, and I am not sure what to do with them.  I am also not sure I will like Brussel Sprouts.  Can anyone reassure me?

5 comments:

  1. Like actual ham that's been ground up? If it's raw you could spice it and use it to fill ravioli or in lasagna, or spice it and use it to stuff potstickers or in wonton soup. If it's already cooked you could mix it into fried rice, or just about anything Chinese-e. Or you could mix it with ground other meat for richer meatballs.

    Yes, I am a bad vegetarian. I have a dozen (tasty) things you can do with duck or lamb, too.

    For the brux sprouts... Try trimming and halving (if they're small) or quartering and toss with diced garlic, oil, salt. Broil, stirring when the edges start to brown. After ten or fifteen minutes cover them with some shredded cheese. If you don't mind cabbage-y flavors you should like it. Deff. better roasted then boiled.

    Congrats, BTW, on the book win over @ planting dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to put brussel sprouts in stir-fry's. They're great in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would add the ham to the homemade mac and cheese (add to the cheese sauce). As for the brussel sprouts, they are awesome roasted in the over with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.

    Saryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ground ham? Like, an actual ham that was ground up? Uhm... You could make deviled ham for sandwiches? Or maybe use it as a pot sticker filling? I'm kind of at a loss on that one.

    Make sure you keep the yeast in the freezer. Which you probably already know.

    Brussel sprouts are awesome. My favourite thing to do w/ them is to roast them w/ some herbes de provence, a bit of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil, then when they're roasted combine them with pasta (my favourite for this is campanelle), preserved lemons and roasted (with the sprouts) onion and/or garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother used to make "Ham Loaf" which was like meat loaf but made with ground ham. And pineapple. It was yummy.

    I'm sure you could find a recipe online since sadly, I didn't get hers before she died. Maybe it is time to email a cousin or two...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails