Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 20-21 (Recap) Summary and Shopping

Despite the fact that the blog has not been updated the way it should be we have been "on track".  The interesting thing about eating for $5/day is that most of the time it really doesn't require too much "work".  The last couple of days we have been enjoying leftover spring rolls, I had a free lunch at work (for cinco de mayo), and yesterday my sister came over for a simple stir fry I created.  Stir fry is a really easy way to eat cheaply and easily - with impressive variety.  Although I usually come up with my "stir fry recipes" on the fly - the most recent one really worked and I thought I would share it with you - as best I can.


Ruby Leigh's Easy Stirfry

Mix the following ingredients to make a marinate for chicken - can be any kind of skinless/boneless chicken.  
-1/3 cup Kung Pao sauce
-1/2 cup olive oil
-1/4 cup rice vinegar (err on the low side of this)
-2-3 teaspoons dijon mustard
-1-2 tbs soy sauce

Let chicken marinate anywhere from 30 mins to 8 hrs.

Other ingredients
-Chopped carrots
-Green Beans
-Ramen - Oriental Flavor
-Beefsteak Tomato (Chopped into large chunks)

Cook Chicken with Carrots in wok over medium heat until chicken is brown.  When finished add green beans and cooked Ramen.  Let this simmer for 5-10mins until green beans are bright green... but not to soft... you will want them to still have some crunch when you eat.  Lastly, add the tomato and let simmer for 5 mins max, just enough to absorb the flavors of the sauce.

So onto the shopping trip... yes this was a couple days ago.  Anyway this was our biggest trip yet, and not to point fingers, but I think it had something to do with DH coming along.

THE GOODS

Grocery
3 boxes kraft mac-n-cheese - $2.57  
-I know that a generic would be cheaper... but I swear by the fact that there IS a difference.   
Swiss Rolls - $1.28 
-umm... husband! lol! 
4 lb bag of sugar - $1.99
Store Brand Hazelnut Dry Creamer - $3.35
4 Cans of Tuna - $2.36
2 Packets Kool-Aid - $0.40

Meat
2 - 6oz (total 12oz) packages Hormel Chicken Strips - $3.69
2 - 16oz (total 2lbs) packages Turkey Lunch Meat -$4.99

Fresh Produce
3.85 lbs bananas - $1.85 
- bananas are still uber cheap! 
Green Onions $0.59
Green Leaf Lettuce $1.49
Carrots Bunch $1.29
1.40 lb White Onions - $2.51
Parsley - $0.59 

Frozen
2 lbs frozen corn - $2.19
5 boxes Lean Pockets - $10.00

GRAND TOTAL - $44.63

This trip was meant as a run to stock up on fresh foods... I thought we would be spend a lot on them as there is this notion in my head that they are "so expensive", how ever only $8.32 was spent on produce... which was only 18.6% of the total bill. 

SO that is that....

One thing that was not in the plan was a $4.63 mocha at a local coffee shop last night with my friends.

At this point in time (day 22) we are averaging $6.15/day - if we make it to day 27 without spending another dime... we will be right at $5/day.  The cupboards are in great shape to do this. 

1 comment:

  1. I am all in favor of shopping Generic, except in cases where there is a notable difference in quality/taste/texture.

    In the case of the all Hallowed Macaroni and Cheese, you are absolutely correct to get the name brand.

    I giggled at the inclusion of Swiss Rolls. I have to avert my eyes every time I pass that shelf in the store.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails