Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 25 - Costco

I made it to Costco (finally!).  I say finally, because we are low on many non-food related items.  Of course I picked up food stuff too.  It should be noted here that most of the items are in rather large quantities (ie costco size), so if the prices seem high that's part of why.  I tried to indicate specific quantities when possible.

Hellman's Mayo (64 oz)  $3.99
Flat Bread $3.99
Bourbon Chicken $10.49
Asparagus $5.49
Strawberries (4 lbs) $6.99
Roma Tomatoes (about 8) $3.99
Heinz Ketchup $1.93
-I actually bought 3 at this price, but I figured I would add them into the total as used.  I don't suspect I will need to open another bottle before the time (90 days) is up.  I've heard that ketchup is pretty easy to make from homemade... so I am wondering I should have done that instead.   
Flour Tortilla's - $3.79

Total $40.66


Not too bad of a run considering it's Costco.  You can check out some other peoples Costco bills here.    


Ok, and now for some ranting!
One issue that I have hesitated to bring up here as it's somewhat personal, however it sort of directly affects our experiment here.  We have reason to suspect that one of our roommates (there are two) may be pinching some of our food.  Has anyone else noticed how fast we have been downing the coffee creamer?   While we do really love the stuff... I'm not sure we love it that much.  It's not totally the roommates fault as I believe she thought creamer came under the condiment clause - that clause may need to be re-written.  Interestingly, though this experiment would suggest otherwise, I am not really that protective of food.  I like to be rather generous, however in the past we have either had open ended conversation of who took what, what is shared and what is unshared with roommates... and the current situation leaves me to do way too much guesswork... does this bottle feel lighter?  Did we have three sticks of butter in the fridge or two?  Why is there jam in our butter? Who finished the Skinny Cows (husband or other)?  All these question are starting to make me a little anal retentive about our food - and I'm not comfortable being that way.  Based on those questions - you may assume that I am anal retentive already, but I can assure you that while some of the items are cheap stock items the volume used has been significant.  We've had a talk with this roommate about not using the more expensive items (In fairness, the current situation is much better than the original food pinching that was going on), but I guess we will need to draw the line a little darker and harder.  Even though having a renter is still a net positive (though less of one), respect of my stuff is still a nice bonus.  Anyway confrontation can sometimes lead to people putting walls up, and we already have some distance in the relationship with this individual that I am dreading the situation even more.   

Besides all the bother with relationship side of this (read: sarcasm), it's affecting our dollars/day! Agh! Part of me thinks I should be able to credit myself when things are awry.. but because much of the missing items are taken in hard to recognize quantities (i.e. not singly packaged items) - this is easier said than done. 

4 comments:

  1. Jam in the butter. OOoooohhh, that is bad.

    I am glad that my roommate days are long behind me. Good luck with arriving at an equitable situation.

    I would presume that the roommate knows about the $5 a day project?

    Thanks for the Lasanga Soup link - I made it for my mom yesterday for Mother's Day and it was a HUGE hit. SO tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea... see "the roommate" doesn't know because she is never around for more than 5 minutes in the open areas where we are. Like I said, we don't have a very open relationship with said "roommate".

    Yes, speaking of Lasanga Soup - same roommate ruined our chicken broth that I had wooped up... and now we have to wait until I make more chicken broth to make the soup. Muh.. sorry to rant and rave about the roommate.

    It did look really cheesy and good though didn't it? I glad to get a second recommondation. I am making chicken today... so I can have more broth soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad about your "roommate". Unfortunately it seems to me your going to need to talk to her and deal with the repercussions of that talk or just suck up the loss. When I had a roommate (so glad I don't need one now) it alway irrated me when they would "borrow" food. Especially the kind that is hard to measure (like creamer) because even if you did talk to them about it they would deny deny deny. I wish you good luck with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I obviously don't know all the particulars about the roommate situation you have, but this is what I think I'd do in your place (and I have had some really, really horrible roommates in the past):

    Instead of talking to her about it, which potentially could wind up causing an argument, why not instead add in $0.50-1.00 per day to account for any slop in the calculations? You can't specifically know how much she's consuming unless you're measuring every bit out (which seems like a massive hassle), but if it was okay for her to consume these items prior to the experiment I'd just calculate in a small amount and adjust your figures to $5.50/day or $6.00/day so a stressful situation doesn't have the potential to arise.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails