Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 26 - Chicken in a Crock Pot

I found this recipe, on Allrecipes.com.  I basically modified it A LOT since we don't have all the appropriate spices and then cooked it in the crock-pot instead of the oven (for convenience purposes).  It turned out extraordinarily tasty, but perhaps a bit more mushy than preferred.  I didn't mind that though melted in your mouth like butter... probably because it was full of it!


I also asked hubby to use up some more of the cabbage and make his incredible coleslaw.  



Not at all sure what is in this, but I do know it tastes good. 

No measurements here, but I did get hubby to tell me some of the ingredients
-Mayo
-Apple Cider Vinegar
-LOTS OF Pepper (all kinds)
-chili powder
-basil
-oregano
-garlic - finely diced
-milk

and other stuff is what he tells me (how bout that for specific?)

Well, basically this is a pretty good description of what we eat on a regular basis - random concoctions.  It's terribly fun.  

5 comments:

  1. Both dishes look really tasty. A stick and a half of butter in the chicken?? I'd be in heaven.

    (I once had a roommate who said that if she rubbed butter on a brick I would probably eat it. We never actually tried that, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I'm having for lunch today and I thought of you guys... This recipe is EXTREMELY cheap, and EXTREMELY easy. (I use only 1-2 chicken breasts and sometimes leave out the sour cream cause those are the most expensive items.) I just dump the whole thing (cubed raw chicken included) in a crockpot for a day or two. Also, dry beans are cheaper than canned, and you don't have to presoak or anything. I just grab a couple bags of different types of beans and throw them all in the mix. It's very filling. My husband and I will eat a good 10+ meals out of it.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Catherines-Spicy-Chicken-Soup/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mmmbah

    Yeah that recipe look great, I might have to make a few substitutions, but everything looks like fairly cheap ingredients, and on hand ta boot! It's also very much in keeping with the kinds of foods we like to eat (read: lots of spicy chicken concoctions)

    Does the chicken get to mushy after cooking that long? I think I might choose to soak the beans first before cooking. What do you think of that?

    @Cathy R - I "only" used one stick of butter... and it still tasted like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby, the chicken didn't get mushy, it actually got a little tougher than i was hoping for. I didn't need to soak the beans, because by the time they sit in a crockpot of liquid for 10+ hours, they were just fine :) But if you changed the time (cooked it on high, precooked the chicken, etc) you might need to soak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the slaw looks great!

    Saryn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails