Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Weight Loss

So I wanted to bring "weight loss" up on the blog anyway, but I got a question from TJ in the comments... and thought well that's lovely.  I am a relatively new blogger - so I still get pretty overjoyed about stuff like this.   
Is the challenge/$ restrictions helping with his (or both of your) weight? I'm curious. I would have thought that he should have noticed enough of a change to not have to get a weight-losing mindset. But good luck to both!
The short answer: The restrictions have "helped" both of us with weight loss.  

The much longer answer:

Naturally, Huzbun's five dollar day experience has been a lot different than mine.  His company has been growing a lot lately, so work covers some meals and so forth.   Also, he works a lot and has had limited time to work out with any regularity.  Also, I let him have certain allowances - beer for instance.  It's cheating of course, but I like living with a sane person - and that requires allowing Huzbun to "have a life" as he calls it.  I also don't think there is anything admiral or attractive about a wife trying to dictate a husband's every move.  Or vice-versa.  Or anyone trying to dictate anyone for that matter.  Also, I don't mean to say that Huzbun needs to have beer to be happy (ie - he's not an alcoholic) - it's just a good example of me giving him space.  Anyway, all this to say - he has maintained, but not lost, which is good.   
       
Huzbun has never been one for balance.   The last time he lost a lot of weight (60 lbs), he did it with a balls to the walls style of intensity.  Nothing but lean protein and vegetables.  Crazy long workout routines.  It wasn't anything insane but more or less lived as though he was on the Biggest Loser Ranch, which is not something that works with most peoples daily lives... consequently not his either.  So right now he has about 20-25lbs to loose. 

Recently, he decided that he would make some changes.  He has been working out 3+ days a week, with a goal to do more.  He exhumed the beer from the house (made a donation to a party).  He's been talking non-stop about body-buildling - he's pretty "built" already, but it's covered in a layer of love right now.  .... and he agreed to run a 5K with me.  .... so yeah he's really pepped-up .... I just hoping that it doesn't go off like fireworks, to be forgotten about by next week.  My Huzbun is a very hard worker, but there's a burn out factor here.  Also, while I'm a pretty big fan of the The Biggest Loser Show, and as much as huzbun wants to live on the ranch, I don't.  I like cheese people!

Anyway, that brings me to me.  For basically all of my life I have been a "thin" person.  While maintaining my weight comes naturally enough to me, I don't think I have an extraordinarily high metabolism or any super special caveat.  I am just a relatively active person who eats doesn't eat a ton of sugar.  The way I monitor what I take in (ie eat) is by "feel".  If I'm hungry I eat, If I'm not I don't.  Also, I don't eat many sweets - not never, but rarely.  I think it's a system that could work for a lot people, but it's probably not that easy to learn, if you are not already doing it.  This is because people eat for many other reasons other than hunger.  That being said if I eat largely unhealthy food when I'm hungry - I do gain weight, which is why I don't think I have a miracle metabolism or anything, and also why I try to make healthier choices.   It's probably worth noting that there are plenty of good reasons to eat healthy beyond weight maintenance anyway. 

To be more specific to this challenge, I have lost about 2 lbs since the beginning.  It's tough to say exactly, because I don't actually weigh myself much.  This puts me about 9lbs less than my "fattest" and about 9lbs heavier than my skinniest.  9lbs is not a lot, but on someone of my stature, it's more noticeable.  Enough that I am pretty uncomfortable with myself at either end of the spectrum - obviously for different reasons.  I think the loss of two pounds can be attributed to the start of running, more than anything else - but it also might be a lack of Taco Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails