Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Race of the Month!

This news is a little after the fact, but Runner's World named the Torchlight 5K in downtown Minneapolis, MN their "Race of the Month".  Which is pretty cool, especially since I was in it.

Not only was I in it, but Huzbun and my Mom decided (or were begged) to run too.

Here we are at the start of the race!
Special Thanks to my Dad for the picture taking help!

Take Off! - look at those people go. 

This race had around 7000 people in it. So when the race starts you are physically prevent from going very fast (unless trampling on top of people is your style).  Though I did not trample people I did go for the dart in around and in between method for a while.  I was doing this so much that I figured I'd lost Huzbun and my mom somewhere in back, but suddenly Huzbun showed up right next to me.  Huzbun and I ran together for a while, and he was doing really well.  He's really improved since the last time we ran together.  Then there was opening in the crowd - and he pulled out ahead of me!!! crazy man! 

After that, I didn't see anyone I knew for the rest of the race. However, I did see a lot of great scenery.

 
I was using my HRM to keep track of my time during the race, since this is a Fun Run and there is no chip-timer.  At the 2 mile mark, I realized I was perfectly on track to meet my goal of running in less than 35 minutes.  Knowing this probably caused me to slack a bit.  Maybe I should have made a more serious goal.  In the end I finished with a time 34:40.  Really happy with that time, but still hoping to improve it in the future.  

Huzbun beat me! with a time of 33:20, which I was super surprised by actually because a few weeks ago he wouldn't of been able to do that (proud of him).  My mom was pretty quick too with a time of roughly 35:12.  I am really glad I got her out there, she said she wouldn't have done it with out a little extra push.  It's funny to me that we didn't see each other at all during the race, since we all came in within a short period of time of each other.  

     My mom and me at the end. 

Torchlight 5K is a part of the Aquatennial celebration in Minneapolis, MN.  So a long with the race there is a bunch of festivities to take part in.  Including live music, "free" beer for the runners, and other giveaways.  My parents and us really enjoyed the time together. 

All of us, enjoying the party at the end of the race.

2 comments:

  1. Foodalyst is a great term for you to use. :)

    I think you look a lot like your Mom, or vice versa.

    Congrats to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love road races! I used to run them all the time. I can't wait for the 10 Miler to get me back on the scene.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails