Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 78 - Shopping or The Last Hurrah

Despite my good intentions, I did in fact "need" to make a trip to the store.  We were missing a few items in a
few recipes, and while I am the great substitutioner... I thought adhering to the original recipe in a few cases would be nice.  Also, we had a few other things to purchase as well. 

The total was $64.00.  (I am obviously rounding)

I lost my reciept between thursday and now, so I will only be able to give a good summary of what was purchased. 

First off - bread and tortillas.  As fun as it is to make these from scratch - it takes a lot of time.  With my work schedule switching to full days and just generally be "too lazy"  I decided we could invest a little here.

Chicken - 5lbs.  Being the good ol' American's that we are - this is more or less a staple in our diet. 

Steak - something I really really wanted for the meal on Saturday. 

Ingredients for Cat Cora's Grapefruit Ambrosia - Included Heavy Cream, a Grapefruit, and Bing Cherries... I substituted the pineapple with watermelon - and had most of everything else around the house. 

We also picked up Cottage Cheese, Diced Chilies, Black Beans (dried), 2 lbs Cauliflower, and a number of other things. 

The total here brings us to having just over $5 left for the entire time remaining.  One Week.  Maybe I should call this $5 week? 

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you got good stuff.

    Good luck with the last $5.22!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops - that "anonymous" was me. Sorry. Spontaneous finger twitch.

    I was going to ask if you felt that your pantry and freezer were emptier now that you are approaching the end of the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cathy - Hey good question, they are in fact emptier - however they still don't look like my mom's (that's empty!). Anyway, I was thinking of making a photo op of it at the end, but it wouldn't be any good without a before.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails