Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The STRATEGY

I'm a STRATEGIC person, that is is one of my strengths.  So I thought I would take time to discuss some of my ideas or the strategy as to how I will make this work.

One - I plan to buy in bulk - While most people tend to do their shopping on a week to week basis... many items can be bought in bulk.  Like this organic soymilk pictured above.  It doesn't need to be stored in the fridge until it's open.


Two - I plan to prepare food in advance for low-prep food convenience food such as these burritos.  One thing both my husband and I do... is cave to our indulgences when we are hungry.  SO HUNGRY - NEED FOOD NOW... TOO LAZY AND IMPATIENT FOR COOKING - ORDER PIZZA.  Even with the Papa John's $10 Large pizza we have just doubled our total budget for the day.   

Three - Cook more stuff from scratch.  The interesting thing here is I really like the idea of cooking from scratch even when it isn't a cost savings.  I just love understanding where my food is coming from, and how things are made.  Above is some parmigiana garlic hummus that my husband recently concocted.  As you can see most of it is gone.

Four - Try new recipes like the ones from this 99 cent chef blog, he comes up with some great stuff... and we are always too L-A-Z-Y to try it.

So I think the hardest part about this will be cutting out the laziness, but much of the rest we will enjoy.

Also, I have been thinking about the fact that my cupboards are literally swelling and if this is going to make the challenge "too easy".  Maybe I should keep two tallies... one is extra dollars spent, the "official" measure,  and one is approximate total cost of all food consumed.  I wouldn't be able to do literal cost on the total food because I don't actually know what I paid for each and every single item, which is part of why was considering making them a wash in the first place... Does anyone have any advice here?

3 comments:

  1. I find it easier to think of it as $35 a week because it's mostly about what can you buy in a large enough volume that can sustain you for a week (you already describe this in your post). If you tried to do it for several months all the stuff in your fridge that was making it 'easy' would probably be cleared out by that point.

    do you have plans to manage the distinction between meals and snacks? or at least account for some amount of snacking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also... while soy milk may be healthier. can't you reduce your costs by simply drinking water? I know in Saint Paul there is the Farmers Market (stpaulfarmersmarket.com) which will be starting in downtown every Saturday beginning on the 24th. check their site for details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clayton.. yes "the hubby and I" loved the Farmer's Market last year. I certainly hope to utilize that. Also, we have a lot of soy milk on hand right now, but you are right water is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails