Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 4 - Chai Tea Latte or something like that.

So I've said this before, but I feel we are coasting a bit this first leg of the 90 days, as our cupboards were pretty stocked, though it's been fun anyway.. and I for one am noticing the benefits of no fast food.  We are running low though on fresh foods, and I am hoping to get to the store soon.  

This morning I was thinking about delicious Chai Tea Lattes.... mmmm.  I was like what really is in those, well Chai Tea - which I have, Milk - which I have, and probably something sweet... sugar - which I have.  Notice the theme here: I didn't need to go to Caribou or similar to have Chai Tea.  Or buy even buy this stuff.  This is how I made it myself for - round numbers here - less than $0.30

Steeped Tea until it became a dark brown color - I am using Good Earth Decaf Chai Tea (Chai Tea normally is caffeinated)  - This should only take a few minutes tops... if you have a easy place to store the tea bag, you can use it twice.  Also, if friends are around 1 tea bag is plenty to steep enough tea for at least two people.

I left room in glass for about 4 fluid ounces of milk - I used soymilk, but half-n-half is the "preferred choice" here... however not the low calorie option.  I also added 3 teaspoons of sugar.

So was it good - well... It took me a few cups to get this right.  I actually started experimenting with this yesterday - 1st one was a little too bland (steep tea longer), and the 2nd one was a little too sweet (use less sugar), but when I made some for my friend this afternoon - she said it was delicious. 

You want about this color of creaminess when done.  mmmm


Other eats for today were:

Fruit and Yogurt Smoothie - frozen raspberries, yogurt and a banana

Grilled Cheeses - Tomato, a couple slices of deli meat and of course cheese (and bread) These were very tasty.  I am hoping cheese is not going to become forgotten when start having to live on the "real 5 dollar day" plan. 

I also munched on some homemade hummus and crackers while I was writing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails