Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 2 - Chicken Broth

Today - I basically ate what I had yesterday.  So more food from the cupboard.  Also, My husband had a sandwich and some breakfast cereal.  If you haven't gathered already we are trying to go as long as possible without a major shopping trip.

I also thought I would try making my own chicken stock with leftovers from yesterday's jerk chicken.

So first I googled: "chicken stock in a crock pot" because I love cooking things in a crock pot (IT'S SO EASY).  Actually I should have probably googled "chicken stock in a slow cooker" because a little known fact is that "crock pot" is a brand name.  Regardless, I found this.  A great and pretty easy recipe, which no suprise here: I did not follow exactly.

Here's what I did: I cut up carrots and threw some onion salt into the slow cooker



This is what it looked like in the slow cooker:

Then I just threw in some bones and about 4 cups of water.  I then turned the crock pot low for about 20 hours.  I took it out this afternoon, strained it first, and it looked like this:
And it tasted better than any Chicken Broth that I have had from one of those cubes.  Even when I am no longer doing this challenge, I think I will make Chicken Stock from scratch.  So much tastier, and really easy when using the slow cooker.  Is there anything else that you find is better than the "more expensive" equivalent?  I think I will be using this stock it in a future "Lasagna Soup"  recipe I found.  I love Lasagna, so it is hard to imagine this soup being bad.

Tonight is a our "freebie meal for the week."  We will be celebrating a birthday for our friend B.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails