Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 5 - McDonald's and thoughts on fast food.

So as I was driving to work this morning - I realized half way their that I had forgot to bring a lunch... and I am not one that can forgo lunch.  Trust me - the results aren't pretty (mood swings, headaches... you get the idea).  So I had to figure out something... Luckily, I had brought a fiber one bar, but that wasn't going last all day.  and... well... I went to McDonald's.

 Dun... Dun... Dun!! 

and I got a McChicken for $1.07 after tax. Notice the trace amounts of lettuce.

So while fitting this into our food budget is perhaps doable... this still got me thinking about the how I feel about fast food in general.  A few years ago I watched  Super Size Me, and I was in college at the time and Morgan Spurlock himself actually came and spoke to us all.  I was so inspired that I literally warded off ALL McDonald's for a year.  However, then I started enjoying conveniences, and ease, and relative cheapness and almost unwittingly slipped back into consuming McDonald's again.  So... I started thinking what are the pros and cons of fast food consumption.  Let's be honest, I don't think we can blame fast food for all of our health issues.  However, it's true you won't get skinny if it becomes part of your daily consumption - despite various campaigns.  I think the secret here is moderation.  Did you know the Big and Tasty McDonald's sandwich is under 500 calories... not bad?  The trick of course is that you can't have the fries and a soda too.  Also, I will add that my McChicken was only about 300 calories... which is roughly equal to a Lean Cuisine (which is considered healthy - though that's debatable)... and equally as filling.  I got hungry again early afternoon, just like how it happens with Lean Cuisine.  Which is why I had these right away when I came home: 
 mmm... Chips and Salsa  
Later - we had a friend come over for Shrimp Scampi - this turned out great... and we had a great time.  Eating out of the cupboards has been great so far... however, we are having to learn how to adapt our recipes.  Today I used clementine juice as opposed to lemon juice.  I pretty much never make anything from the recipe exactly, so this was nothing new.  I think that recipe substitution is a "key" making budget friendly meals.  What do you think?

Also, I'm curious what your thoughts are on fast food?

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Fast Food has its place in the world.

    As a recently diagnosed diabetic, I've spent a lot of time recently reviewing nutritional information at many restaurants. I was amazed that pretty much every place has one or two menu items that fall within my "allowable" ranges. Since I am informed that I must eat regularly (to regulate blood sugar), I am comforted by this information because I know that sooner or later I will get caught out without food to eat. Now I know what to get.

    So I guess that it boils down to information and moderation!!

    I am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I'm so glad that you are enjoying the blog. I agree moderation and information are key.

    Thanks, Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. McDonald's is actually one of the better fast food joints when it comes to calories and nutrition. The portion sizes are generrally smaller than many of the other places and they offer healthier sides. Chik-fil-A is another good option for healthier fare. But beware, both places are filled with landmines. I think the average burger at Carl's Jr/Hardee's or Burger King is 700-800 calories with several hitting the 1000 range. And that's without fries or a drink. Ouch!

    I like the concept of your blog. I've been cutting back to save calories and money. The best we seem to do is $10-12/day for two of us; includes dining out. That is mostly because I have not compromised on quality. An example is the free range bison steaks I love (two 6 oz steaks are $10). I've learned to search the "Manager's Specials" for items nearing the sell-by date and I freeze what I will not use in the next day or two.

    PS - I do not buy produce from other countries unless it is an item that is not grown here and available commercially (bananas, mangos, etc). I do make some exceptions when entertaining or trying to make something in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DonShe -

    I think if I actually went through and totaled what we eat each day from the cupboards It would probably be closer to $10/day right now.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I think it's Ok from time to time..I just ate it today. I had a hot chicken roll ( a long bun with mayonaise and chicken meat inside)this came from Red Rooster, a chicken takeaway we have in Australia and my husband had a Hungry Jack's Whopper Value Meal, it is the same as Burger King there, I think.I think if you don't eat it too often it's OK. My main qualm and the reason I don't indulge too often is that it's costly ( the chicken roll is $5.75 alone and the burger, fries and Coke is $6.55.. that's small, not large). For that money I could buy and prepare a lot more food at home but sometimes I'm just not organised like today, (I ran out of bread!) and sometimes we just to have a treat! Cheers! I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oilymils - It's true, not every item is a $1.07, "what I really wanted" would have cost at least $5

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually miss easy fast food sometimes- airports for example. everyone else is chowing down on their lemon chicken or big mac, and I'm off in a corner, gumming swedish fish and plotting to mug little kids for their oreos.

    But it's got to be an only once in a while thing or it just doesn't work. In places without better options, or at least street food, it's sometimes the only place to find something you don't have to cook yourself.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails