Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 1 - Jerk Chicken

So here is some of the things I ate today:


Free Coffee (from work), Free "Thank you" Cake at work,  All of these were in the cupboard or freezer: Fiber ONE bar, Lean Cuisine and a Girl Scout Cookie

Then for Dinner we had a guest over and she brought a box of wine.  

This was mmm, mmm good

We also made dinner for her.  I picked up a 2 whole chickens at Costco for .89/pound. So $2.61 for the (1) whole chicken  I have never cut up a whole chicken before, but between me and the hubby we made short order of it.  However, we came up with some unusual looking pieces.  I wish I had remembered to take a picture of that... . 

I then used kitchen witchery to create a "jerk chicken" recipe with all of these items that I had on hand PLUS two clementines.  I will say here that the expensive ingredients are the Jerk Sauce we purchase in Jamaica and Famous Dave's BBQ Sauce.  Granted we only used fractional amounts.  If you want to make a jerk sauce from relatively low cost ingredients try this recipe.  I have used something similar before and it turns out great.  

The Final Product

To go with Jerk Chicken it's good to have Corn Bread and Fried Plantains.  We didn't have any plantains, so we tried to fry bananas in olive oil.  In retrospect, this was only an okay idea.  The bananas turned out a tad soggy or sometimes burnt.  I think it would have been improved if we had used Canola Oil and of course plantains.  Also, our frying technique could be a bit troubled

The Corn Bread Mix I had was dated as best to be used by October 2007... wow! almost three years ago!  We decided to try it anyway with an extra teaspoon of baking powder. 
  We had one egg and some milk (1/3 cup) (organic soymilk) on hand.  

Also, I think they turned out OKAY... - however they were pretty crumbly, but aren't they always?

So total spent today was $2.61 - Pretty sure we just ate all stuff we had around.  The game plan will have to change when there is less around.  Let you know how that goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails