Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Treadmills, Training and Trauma

Treadmills

My gym membership expired on March 1st, and I didn't renew! The gym has been great for me as a default option to workout (or run as I usually do), but it is an added expense.  I have a gym that is free for me to use at my work, but I don't take advantage as often because it is hard to fit that in while I work and the locker room is pretty lack luster.  However, the big reason I am no longer a gym member is this:




Yep, I purchased a treadmill.  It was $50 on craigslist and while it isn't glamorous, it suits my needs for now.  

Because of my triathlon dreams, I was originally intending to upgrade my gym membership to one where there is a pool, but in that process I learned that there is a local community pool that is very affordable for me to use.  No gym membership required. 

Training

I am currently putting all of my training efforts into the Half-Marathon I will be running on April 28th.  I am using the Hal-Higdon plan, but using it more as a guideline.  Unlike in the past, I am making more of an effort to do cross-training by getting out on my bike.  I also want to warm up for the future tri.  I think the added cross-training will also help me prevent injury.  I will also be running the Get Lucky 7K next Saturday.  My original goal was to run this at 11 min miles, or under 48 minutes total.  I still think this goal is in the realm of doable, but feel it's going to be a pretty big stretch for me.       

Trauma

I got dreadfully sick a few weeks ago, and am still not quite at 100%.  Functional, but still a little stuffy.  My grandpa passed on recently as well, which was tough as a family and there was also a funeral for me to attend.  My car decided to break down twice in one week too, so that was also stressful.  (It currently runs again though - don't die Sentra!)  

The sickness alone through off a whole week of training.  I actually did run the morning of the funeral, which was a nice way to de-stress.  The car trouble accounted for another missed run.   *sigh* things never go perfectly do they?  So now, I am in catch-up mode with my half-marathon training.  I am feeling confident that I will still complete okay, as I already did the full.  hah.  But meeting my time-goal, under 2:30, is not feeling as sure.  I'm not giving up, just saying I've had a to dodge a few punches here.

On the plus side: I recently had a good hair day.

    
Still working on the self-portrait thing... but I am trying to end this post on an upswing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails