Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Expanding my Running Horizons

So I realize that 2 years ago I would have never even bothered to run period.  I didn't even exercise regularly.  I'm proud of what I've done running wise - and no matter what I do from here tackling that marathon will always be something I look back on with pride.  



Most days I think it's pretty cool that the girl who dreaded "the mile run" in elementary can simply run at all.  And that I want to is even stranger.

However - even though I've conquered a lot with running and I'm happy about that - I know I'm slow.

Most of the time it's okay with me and of course, I could always be slower...








One thing about this slowness is that it's been hard to see improvement.  My first 5K was a time of 36:52 or an 11:53 pace.  My last race was a 7K in 48:36 or an 11:11 pace.

It's an improvement, but not a huge one.

So anyway, I'm not here to be all sad - I'm just outing the fact that I see room for improvement in the pace.  I have some [perhaps over zealous] speed goals this year and I want to get there...  I don't know if it's even possible but I'm so going to try.  (1 mile under 10 and 5K under 30)

The 7K was a good time I accept that, but it was also a reminder that I'm not going to get there doing what I'm currently doing (or I seriously risk npt).  I need a change of pace.

SO ... I'm trying something new.  I consider myself more of a solo runner, but I joined a running group called Twin Cities Running Experiment - they meet almost everyday of the week so there is lots of places and times to choose from.

The first run I did with them was call Hill Repeats.  I barely could do the hills .. let alone the repeats, and I basically tagged along at the tail end of the pack the whole time.  However, everyone in the group was very nice and they said "Good Job!" whenever they saw me climbing those hills.  It was intense!

Next night, I met the same group for a not hill run (phew!) and again I lagged along the path.  It didn't exactly feel great falling behind, but it must of been a huge motivator because I ran those 3.3 miles in 35:35 mins!  AHH!  That's a 10:46 min-mile and a record pace for me!

Hmm... maybe I'm more of a social runner after all.

__________________

P.S. I promise I'll talk about food again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails