Sunday, June 24, 2012

Better than ever



Two years ago a friend told me I should run a 5K ... so I did.


Here I am at the finish


June 25th 2010


I'm not sure what I thought would happen then, but it's safe to say this was the beginning of something big. 


Running has made me feel strong physically, and that has given me a confidence about life that I honestly haven't known elsewhere.  Part of why it works for me is because of how hard I've had to work for it.  I've always been more swift to 'hit the books' than to 'hit the pavement'.  The former always came easy, the latter has always been nearly non-existent.


I might of started running on a whim, but perhaps more interesting is that I kept doing it.  I've taken breaks, and had bad days, and I've been really really slow, and I've been only marginally slow, but I'm still here trying.  One thing that keeps me going is the sense of accomplishment, because no one can run for you.       


So, I knew I could PR this 5K... I wasn't sure about the sub 30, but I didn't want to rule it out.  


I mentally focused on going fast, and I 'actually' passed people along the way which really doesn't happen normally.  I also ran my first water stop.    



I crossed the finish line at 31:33, which is a PR by by a minute and a half (1:37), and I am super pleased with it.  

I clocked the second mile at 9:50 my fastest mile that I've had off treadmill.

While I was running, I realized that it was not a sub 30 day yet... but also that I didn't really care that much, what mattered is that I was running the fastest I ever had, that I was having great time doing it, that I was feeling strong and that my new normal was better than ever.    
    

June 23rd 2012
 _________________________________________________________


Thanks to all the supporters in my life, especially those who made a contribution to Children's MN Hospitals and Clinics - this was wonderful cause to support and event to be a part of and you helped make that happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails