Monday, April 9, 2012

Crave-worthy Dip (that's actually healthy)

Have you guys gotten on pinterest yet?  If not - you should!  It's fun stuff and you can follow me too! (link in the side bar)

Anyway, there is a lot of crave-worthy creations to attract your taste buds, but I spotted this dip and thought - oh that's actually healthy too! (win-win)



Even Tony agreed that this looked great, so I decided to try it out.

Hummus Layer

Cilantro Pesto made with pine nuts and pecans

Cucumbers

Finished Product ( or I stopped taking pictures of every layer)

I made two - this is the vegan version (no feta)
Raw red onions were omitted from both plates, because I sort of hate them (sorry).  I also used sun-dried tomatoes instead of oven dried.

Frugal thoughts:  This dip would have be absurdly expensive if I hadn't made the humus and pesto myself.  I also bought the feta in bulk (costco) and pine nuts are from trader joes so I get some smart shopping points on that as well.

Foodie thoughts:  I served these at a small get together with friends, of various eating habits.  One of my friends who prefers the classically american fare said "It looks beautiful, but I don't think I'll have any"  without citing a specific reason.  I guess he wasn't adventurous enough to try?  Luckily, there were others with more welcome palates.   Suffice it to say, my two vegan friends basically licked the plate clean.

Oh, and if I didn't mention it already - totally making this part of my regular party fare!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails