Thursday, April 19, 2012

Half Marathon Training Update

Ok, here's my summary of the ups and downs of my current half-marathon training program.

I've done two major long runs in the past TC 10 mile and TC Marathon - I'm proud of those races for all the reasons I should be, but I have to admit I've always taken a very... let's call it minimalist approach to my training.  I do enough to complete the race, but I don't go overboard - this "strategy" has had it's pluses and minuses.

I really wanted this to be the race - where I didn't skimp on runs.  I modeled my program after Hal Higdon, but added in "extras" to be more aggressive in my training.  I introduced Hill Training - which was tough (and okay - I only did the workout twice), and I did not completely omit cross training like I've done in the past.  Also, I made improvements with strengthening and stretching, but honestly I still could grow a lot here.

So not perfect, I wasn't expecting that anyhow, but all very on the up and up.

But....  about 3 weeks ago - I started experiencing come calf/shin pain that I couldn't just ignore.  I know from my past injury that these things deserve attention.  This might be an obvious lesson for some, but I am sort of a "grin and bare it" kind of gal.  When I was young, I once walked around with a screw stuck in the bottom of my foot thinking the pain would just go away.

At any rate - I didn't ignore the pain, and I've been stretching, massaging and resting.  I also bought a Zensah Calf/Shin Splint Compression Sleeve and a Gaiam Stretch & Strength Foam Roller Kit - which have been doing their respective jobs.

The resting, while salvaging my body, has "hurt" my training, and I can't avoid feeling upset by that.  I was hoping for 2:30 marathon, but realize that I may have overshot.  It's okay do that, I realize, and I really believe it better to overshoot then never aim at all.

On the plus side, I'm glad I've had the biking and swimming to keep me moving.  I even trashed last weekends long run in favor of a 27 mile bike ride - and let me say that was pretty tough (and awesome) too.

So, today was the last of my long runs before the Half-Marathon, which is in 9 days.  I ran 10 miles, which is enough.  I maintained a pace of 11:31 - which is still very solid for me (and the last 2 miles were decidedly hill-ish and windy).  My shin/calf still feels 8/10 but I am confident it is stable.  I will run a couple more times before the big day, more foam rolling and cross training, but really is just a waiting game now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails