Friday, December 30, 2011

Soup Project

Over Christmas I spent time with my family in Upper Michigan ... due to road conditions that's about 8 hours from my home here.  Anyway, there were 16 of together in one house resulting in lots of food.  So when things came to a close there was also lots of leftovers, which I was fortunate to get plenty of.  Jackpot!  These were the good kind of leftovers too (not just pasta salad and jello).  Leftover Turkey, Broccoli Sprouts, Tortillas, and Ham Bone, with plenty of meat still attached.  I latched onto that last one, but I honestly haven't cooked it before.  I think I just saw it on a cooking show and new it would be a good idea to grab. It was.

Also, at some point in history I also receive the Firehouse #10 Hot Chili Bean Soup Mix, I am honestly not sure how, but fairly confident I did not purchase it outright.  If you are wondering how that's possible - well you can blame my ADD and the fact that sometimes my roommates leave stuff behind.  Also, a small plug, the Women's Bean Project seems like a great organization to support.

Anyway, this meals was entirely free for me (Thank you Grandparents and Random Ex-Roommate).



Soak Beans overnight


Combine Ingredients in Crock Pot - Ham bone, Beans, Green Bell Pepper Diced, Can of Tomatoes, Spice Packet, 2 Tbsp Garlic (or in my case more)


It's hard to tell in this photo, but the meat will basically fall off the bone.  It's not a bad idea to help it along though.


Serve

The verdict: the soup is delicious.  Also, I'm generally not a huge fan of Ham, but in this soup it tasted like
Y-U-M.  

The sticker price of $5.75 for the soup mix seems really pricey to me (Beans and Spices aren't that much), but it goes to a good cause, so in the name of charity I could see purchasing this once and a while.  Also, meat would be an unnecessary addition as beans have plenty of protein.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like it made a lot soup.

    Ham bones are valuable. I used to throw one in a crockpot with pinto beans and just cook all day. Super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boss gave me a Women's Bean Project gift basket this year. I've got that firehouse chili and a bean soup mix among other things.

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails