Thursday, November 29, 2012

some thoughts on Mental Health

Recently, a tragedy occurred in my family.  Death is something we all must accept, but it feels harder when that life wasn't able to be lived to the fullness that it should have been.  In this instance, death is just the recent climax in a story that is as complicated as it is long, and in the interest of protecting my family members I'll be leaving most of the details off.  I will say that poor mental health played a veritable role on more than one level and in more than one character along the way.  It's uncomfortable to think about how things could have been avoided and answer-less for those of us who sat blindly on the sidelines.  Hopefully, in the aftermath, some mysteries will be revealed, but for now we are left to hedge guesses.

Though I do want to say a few things about how 'I think' you can stay mentally healthy.  My observations come largely in light of the recent tragedy but not strictly so.  I'm NOT a mental health expert, so please take these observations for layman suggestions that they are.  I'm also not convinced this is any way a complete list nor was I going for that.  If you have mental health concerns of any kind please seek out a mental health professional.        

1. Share Secrets
Secrets can be fun when it's a surprise birthday party, or a special Christmas gift... but oftentimes they can really weigh a person down.  I really like what the "Post Secret" project purports to do by giving people an outlet to get things of their chest.  Now, this doesn't mean share everything with everyone, healthy boundaries are still a good thing, but find someone who is worth sharing with and do.  Don't carry the weight all on your own.

2. Skip Stigma and Shame
Mental health is still fairly misunderstood even in our modern day.  Seeking help for understanding yourself, figuring out what's off and making good choices should be encouraged not admonished.  As a wise friend of mine once said "Therapy should be for everyone and free".  I have sought out therapy in the past when things were feeling off or I was sorting through difficult situations, and found it to be very helpful.

3.  Let your mind relax.
Throughout my day to day life there are many mini-monoloques of thought going through my mind.  Most of the time there is work to do and I don't get a chance to process those unkempt thoughts.  Meditation, Vegging, Running, Journal-ling and even sometimes games... are all ways to let your mind wind down.  Process what needs to process and feel refreshed so you can move forward.  The hardest part is sometimes giving yourself the freedom to do so... but think would you rather a clear mind or a clean house?  ... and for what it's worth sometimes methodically doing housework can actually be mentally relaxing for me as well.... sometimes.  

There's so many more little things I could say on this soap box of mine...  I still think there is much we don't know about the topic of mental health, and know that many times the answers aren't as clear cut a brief blog post.  I'm not sure I should open this can of worms but I will add that I know of cases where prescription drugs have been a part of that answer and cases where they have been abused, so I think it's a very case by case issue.

In closing, I'd be interested to know your own thoughts on the mental health issue... as I know I left a lot of things out.        


4 comments:

  1. As someone who has struggled with my own mental health issues (mostly depression) I have a few thoughts...

    1. For me, exercise and eating healthy can help me manage my depression... 85% of the time.

    2. Share share share. One of the best helps for at least 5% of those other times has been to tell someone I was depressed. They don't always understand (sometimes they do) and they don't always know what to do, but just telling someone, even a friend, can be therapeutic.

    3. This, to me, is the most important issue. Depression and other mental health issues are real physical and emotional conditions. Just like many diseases can be (partly or totally) managed through health and exercise, mental health conditions sometimes respond well to the same. However, do not EVER be ashamed to ask for help and medication if needed. There are real issues, and chemical responses, that need to be brought back into balance, and we have brilliant medical doctors and scientists working hard to provide that. Take advantage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. as for your comment about medicine being abused, I agree. I've also heard that in the case of depression, the first two weeks on medication can be a critical time. (Because you get back your energy, but you're still depressed while the medication is adjusting your body).

    But there are so many people who have been helped by the proper use of medication and therapy, and I think it's so important to seek it out if and when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think mental health is something that should be talked about and not whispered about. I talk openly on my blog about being bipolar, severe anxiety and depression. My sister was also bipolar. My sister died almost 35 months ago after having cancer for 8 months. I never thought I could live or get through anything so traumatic as this. Yes, medication can get over prescribed. I see a therapist weekly and my psychiatrist every 2-3 months to make sure we're all on the same page. For both my sister and me medication changed our lives. I know if it weren't for my meds I would be unable to function, especially after my sister died. Meds are not a happy pill. They are a tool to help you deal with your problems. So many people try one type, it doesn't work and they stop there thinking medication won't work. Both my sister and I struggled for about two years of different cocktails and I am grateful every day that we were able to strike the right balance to keep me in check. Again, I understand your thought of meds being over rx'd and there are far too many times that is the case but in others it's finding the correct balance. I tried everything and bipolar is a brain chemical disorder that needs medication to be treated. I will never be well, I will always be on medication but I'm so thankful that there ARE medications that help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate the comments on this post. I love hearing about your own personal experiences. I should say that I'm very pro-medication in the right context (to which there are many), but I think the fact they do get abused unfortunately gives them a bad name overall.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails