Thursday, November 8, 2012

Post Election Recap

This isn't a political blog, and it's not about to become one.  But before we've completely forgot about the election I wanted to take a moment to process my concluding thoughts.

  • This is the first year in a long while where I've gotten truly involved with learning about each of the races, the candidates and the issues at stake.  Because of this, I felt confident and reassured about my vote in every case (well except for the long list of judges), but you get the idea.  
  • NPR (or MPR) National Public Radio or it's Minnesotan counter part have been a huge resource.  Especially the latter in terms of local races.  Unlike the presidential debate which is largely pageantry,  the local debates hosted by mpr were hugely informative.  While I can't say switched sides, I did in one case soften my view quite remarkably for "the opponent.", I could appreciate their perspective, but in the end regarded it as naive.  
  • Big voter turn outs are fun to see in big election year!  Much is made of this in terms of what it means for the results, but to me this is a result in itself.  At the end of the day, I believe this is a right everyone should exercise regardless of their views, and I'm proud that Minnesotans are some of the most 'vote happy' people around. 
  • Lastly, minorities in this country are a growing group, a group that is also finding their voice at the polls.  Obama has won in part do to his strong lead among women, Latinos, African Americans and the poor.  Now, more than ever appealing to disenfranchised groups matters.  Going forward, I believe a successful  presidential candidate is going to need to appeal to all people groups.  I can't help but think that's a good thing.    
Okay, and now, I can let you be done with the election craziness.  Promise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails