Sunday, August 5, 2012

To the lone runner.

I'm not sure how many of you follow the PostSecret.com blog.  I'm a fan, but sometimes it's absolutely heart wrenching.   I saw this secret on the blog today, and my heart went out to this person.

When I finished my first race of a significant distance the TC 10 mile - I finished alone.  There were others that I knew in the race and I had support from friends and family outside of that day, but I got to the race by myself, finished alone and drove my own self home alone.  I asked a stranger to take the picture in this blog.  

I'm sure if I had written a secret before this race, it might of looked similar to this one.  However, finishing on my own taught me a valuable lesson about myself... simply that I was a very capable person all by my lonesome. Perhaps something I knew to some degree already, but this knowledge was invaluable at the time I received it.  

It also helped me separate myself from the expectations of others, something I've always struggled to do.   Suffice it to say, very few people expected me to run.  I truly ran that race for no one else's approval or because I was supposed to, and I ran it at a time when I had recently failed on a lot of things I had felt I was supposed to (not that doing those things was making me particularly happy).   Running has made me strong in ways that go beyond running.  I'm not convinced that running is a universal remedy for all, but I think there must be something about the pushing, pounding of the pavement, and sweat that makes it work for many.  Running has worked for me because it helped me find a seed of strength at a time when I otherwise felt weak.    

1 comment:

  1. I agree, that IS heartbreaking, if only because I understand how it feels too. I've gotten so used to getting by on my own. And it's invaluable knowledge to have, that I can make it solo, but we all need people too <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails