Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Greek Chicken Gyro

I made this because I had both yogurt, chicken and balsamic vinaigrette dressing on hand.  It's not much more interesting than that.

I used the recipe Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style from allrecipes.com with a few additions and subtractions, which I'll mention.

The marinade:
Somewhere mid-mixing

I followed the marinade instructions almost exactly, except for omitting greek seasoning (simply because I missed that on the grocery list).  I love how this chicken turned out regardless, so it wasn't exactly missed, but I'm not familiar with ingredient so I guess I wouldn't really know.

I pan-fried the chicken as opposed to grilling it, which obviously changes things too, but I think it's just a preference thing.  

Tzatziki Sauce


Other than not seeding the cucumbers for the Tzatziki Sauce, I followed these instructions closely.  It turned out heavenly... we really are in culinary debt to the Greeks on this one as there is no American substitute I can think of.      

Other Toppings
The other toppings were other Romaine, Feta, Tomatoes, and Black Olives (instead of Kalamata as the recipe suggests) and we took a pass on the red onions (thanks, but no thanks).



Final Product
 I served these on Tortillas, instead of Pita bread.  The decision was made because they don't have Pita bread at Aldi's and I didn't want to make another trip.  That being said, despite expressed hesitations by the dining party (ie Tony), it tasted pretty good this way too.   

Conclusion: given the few rounding errors and missed ingredients due to cost, simplicity or other wise this was lick your lips good!  (not to mention fairly light and healthy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails