Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I paid $10 for this picture! (and other tri costs)

I consider myself a somewhat frugal person.  Largely, this comes out of necessity as money has been really really tight, but recently I've had more flexibility and feel like I am slowly getting back on solid ground.  I still like to price compare and use coupons at the grocery store, and I keep the food budget for Tony and I below national standards.  How people make their financial decisions can be really personal, and I know that I spend money on things some people would never consider, while others spend in ways I never would.

All that to say, the cost to tri includes a monetary one, not to mention the time commitment and so on.  I think examining monetary costs is interesting and important, so after some debate, I've decided to plow forth.

Swim:
Suit: $25 - I didn't have anything suit wise that didn't fall into the camp of beach bikini, essentially nothing appropriate for athletic activity.  I saw sport suits run as much as $100, but I bought this one at swimoutlet.com for less and I have no issues with the quality of it.
Goggles: $7 - also purchased at swimoutlet.com
Swim Cap: $7 - I wanted a lycra one for practice... I was given a mandatory to wear latex one for the race.

Bike
The Bike (of course) - $850 - read my post on this!
A helmet - I had one, but could have been $40 to $200 (I bought mine several years ago, but I'm sure it was no where near $200)
Bike Shorts - $50 (also purchased at swimoutlet.com)

Run
Race (ID) belt - $8 - mine had a zipped pocket for gels, also an id badge.  I've been using this using this as a safety measure and gel carrier on my long runs as well.

Race:
Race Entry - $89 (this is with the early bird discount)
1-day USAT Membership - $12
MinnefotaMomentsPic $10

Total: $1058

What I didn't include were things I bought primarily for running such as new shoes and the garmin, partially because I didn't use either of them during the actual race, but also because I would have bought them anyway for just running.  Most of the stuff on this list can be used again and again, so this hardly reflects the cost of one tri - but it does show there is a fair amount of upstart costs to getting into the sport.  The bike is area where I could have spent less and may have had the money not been available, but also an area where I could have spent way way more (like more than my car more).

On this list of things purchased was this picture:


that's me - who knew?

I might not recognize myself if my name wasn't attached.   I look determined ... and dare I say - athletic?  

So the costs to to tri are high... but to me the experience was priceless.  Also, I'm so showing this photo to my hypothetical kids one day.  

6 comments:

  1. You are an athlete! And such a strong looking one. That picture deserves a frame.

    I think as you do more tris the "expense" will be justified. Especially your bike, I mean, you ride the heck out of that thing. All those 6.91 mile rides add up. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look VERY determined. And athletic!! Wow. I think it is totally worth paying for professional pictures on occasion. This seems to be one of them!

    Why do the organizers require a certain type of swim cap? Especially latex. Many people are allergic to latex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raise a valid point and you know their might of been a way to avoid it in case of allergies... but it doesn't apply to me so didn't pursue it.

      Delete
  3. That picture looks amazing! I'd surely be proud of it and show my kids one day! I totally know what you mean about the expense of getting into a sport..biking can be spendy, but the initial costs do pay off if you continually use your equipment, which you do! Great analysis :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the cost breakdown. I agree that it's not cheap! What if you broke it down, further, though? How much per mile has the bike cost you? How much does a lap cost in your new suit? Of course, I'm a money nerd, so I love thinking about things like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be interesting... I could easily do the math too because I record my workouts pretty consistently.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails