Thursday, September 2, 2010

Foodalyst sans food

Hello and yes - I am still alive.   While this may just be the quintessential dormant blog post that says "I'm sorry I'm not blogging, but I'll blog soon blah", I figured I could write a few words on why this blog has been more dormant that I would of hoped for.  I picked up some contract work recently, I wasn't looking for anything, but they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.  It's an excellent opportunity at an excellent company.  The work is tough, but the management is helpful, and the team I am on seems amicable so far.  So technically speaking I already had a full-time job this fall, so adding another part time job - is definitely pushing my human limits of space and time.  The point: I'm busy.  The result: cooking, blogging, and such has been pretty limited.

and Honestly, I miss it.

A LOT.

So here's where I am at, for reasons I don't wish to completely explain on this blog - I feel required to earn more than I make at my dream fulfilling teaching job.  Not a lot more, but a bit more.

My position at as a engineer - is relatively comfortable (as compared to some of my previous employment choices), pays more than I would ever need a job to pay, but just a bit too soul-sucking for my taste.

My position as an engineer is what I "should" do with my life.  I was given a great deal of opportunity in this field, and I will have more in the future if I were to continue to apply myself.  But as I sit inside the four walls of a cubicle day upon day - my motivation to move forward and grasp - whatever it is I am supposed to be grasping - wanes.  I want to get myself to buck up, and then kick whatever it is that needs kicking - make the *big* bucks and stop disappointing everyone with my failed career.

The other piece of me wants to forget it all, and go after the life I want.  Who knows, maybe I could supplement my income with this blog?  (and I call myself a realist)... which would make teaching a viable option for me.  Also, a conversation with my boss the other day indicated that I could probably make more than I am making with teaching if I try out a few options I hadn't thought of.     

So, at the end of the day, I want to be in Education.  I feel a sense of peace whenever I am there (at school) - helping my students, lecturing, coming up with lesson plans.  It's the kind of work, that doesn't feel too much like work.  It's the kind of expectations I can meet - and this is something I like to be doing (ie meeting expectations).  At least I know this much.

In the meantime though - I have a conundrum.  One thing I lack in the education world is the elusive "graduate degree".  Obviously, I am employed as is, but certain opportunities are just out of reach.  Working for a large company as an engineer could possibly provide me with the means to get my Masters degree (whether it be the additional income or the actually just paying for the degree itself)... which would intern make me more marketable in the Education world.  The question:  Can I really work a 40 + hour/week job and get my masters.  I know "people do it all the time", but can I? and do I want to?  And how much longer can I really handle working as an engineer?  Also, do I stand to lose any network connections by dipping out of the Education world for a time?  I don't know - what do you guys think?    


and oh yeah - I'll be cooking again soon - somehow.

6 comments:

  1. You pose many questions, none of which have definite answers. But since you asked...

    Yes you can work 40+ hours a week and also work on your masters degree. It takes enrollment in a program designed for that, and a severe degree of self discipline, but it can be done. In all honesty, I found myself a better student when I was working full time, simply because I didn't dare let myself get even the slightest bit behind.

    In answer to another question, let me ask you this: if you were working on your education degree, would you really be losing contacts/networking? I would imagine that your coursework would, instead, result in enrichment of your experience and contacts.

    All the best to you as you make this/ these decisions. Remember that the ability to truly love what you do for a living can make up for a less than stellar paycheck.

    P.S. Do not hesitate to fully investigate your financial aid options. It is possible that grants are available that would enable you to cut back on your work while you go to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who says what you should do with your life? "Them"? If "they" want people to be engineers, or doctors, or *whatever* makes someone unhappy, let *them* do it.

    It's your life, and unless the reincarnation-ists are right, you only get one shot. You've found something you enjoy. So do that- until you find something you like better.

    Ack, is that advice? Oh noes.

    So if you stick with teaching and go for an advanced degree, would it be in engineering? That seems like something that would have plenty of alternative schedule options, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice.....do what fulfills you and what you love. If you are following your heart and the path that feels right....everything will fall into place. Someone greater is in control and has a plan....you just need to trust and be willing to take one step at a time. Believe me....I have first-hand experience with this type of thing! Feel free to call, email or message me. I would love to share my experience. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - these are awesome comments. Thanks for that.

    @Cathy - I haven't really considered the financial aid option as much. I am not sure why. Probably a bit of disdain for debt I guess. The other thing is which degree. This part should be more clear to me, but I feel I have a few options of course. So I could go for the Education Masters, or the Engineering - with options in between. So I have to figure that out too.

    @j. - it is my life. Thanks for that, and if that was advice then I think it's okay.

    An advanced Engineering degree would be the "easiest" for me to get, so maybe the best - not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please check out for grants, rather than loans. Grants are like "free money", and I would imagine that there are many available for people who want to be teachers.

    I totally agree about student loans, by the way. But it never hurts to look for free money...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK! I have a lot to say with little time to say this. I almost feel as if I should give you a telephone call. Since we have never meet I will resort to writing this, but I hope it make scene.
    1. I am a teacher of 10 years who is a mom and I DO NOT have my masters degree. In fact I have found it beneficial to not earn a masters until your tenured. If they are ever looking a budget cuts (which many many school do these days)do they cut a teacher who has a masters degree or a teacher that does not have a masters degree? Answer Cut the teacher who has a masters, because they are much cheaper. I know doesn't make sense when it comes to having the most qualified teach your son or daughter.
    2. There are alternative licensing programs out there that can put you in a classroom in less than 2 years. I would look for one of those.
    3. Since your background is in Engineering might I suggest you become a physic teacher or a chemistry teacher. My district has cut hundreds of teacher in the past years, but they have hired chemistry and physics teachers. They are in short supply and finding a job in those science areas rather than life science is much easier.
    4. I am now tenured in my district and I will have my masters degree from St. Mary's, Minnesota by the end of the year. I work well over 40 hours a week, I am a mom of a 3 year old and I'm a full time student. You can totally do a program that meets at night one or two nights a week. If you go Education Masters you will have to complete a student teaching experience, which will probably not allow for you to work your current job full time. That is part of the reason I suggest the alternative license because you get placed in a school as a teacher, you make a teachers salary all the while working towards you license.
    5. There are Grants, but they are super duper hard to get. Depending on your time find them takes a long time and writing one takes even longer. Student aid is at least a debt that you have something to show for. Unlike credit cards debt, typically. They also have lower interest rates than CCard.
    6. What ever university you attend please check with them there are some students loan that are forgiven if you teach in a high need subject area like special education, world language, math or science. There are some stipulations of what type of school you can work for too. For example since I teach in an urban school system and science I was able to get 10 K forgiven. Worth looking into.

    If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
    ~Jenny
    Hope you can understand my comments, but following your dreams will make life worth more in the long run! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails