Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Basking in Blurry Marathon Bliss

I'm not even really sure what to say about this marathon...so settle in for a long post.

I was pretty nervous the day before, my expectations were high and in place, but reality was my shin felt imperfect, my training had slacked in the last weeks and I didn't really know what I was leaving to chance.  Note: when you run the marathon, there is always something left to chance.

I set the alarm for 5:30 am and began the morning ritual.  Bagel and Coffee, adorn race outfit, pin on number, check and double check that I have everything.  Make several trips to the bathroom.  



Tony asked me, "Do you feel better than you did last year?" I said, "I have the same nerves, even though I know my training was better."  On the way to the HH Metrodome, Tony made me laugh so much.  I was babbling on about the corrals and he made a joke about cattle... you had to be there.. but the guy is hysterical sometimes.  Like last year it was so busy that he dropped me off about a block from the location and as I was strolling in - I tripped and fell on the pavement.  Not the best way to start the day, but I was fine and several nice runner people asked if I was fine too.  Once I got inside the Metrodome, I made yet another trip to the bathroom.  (Never can be too sure). Then it was about time to head out to the corrals.

As I was waiting in the corrals, I saw my friend Anne from high-school. We recently reconnected while we were both running  in the Women's Rock Half-Marathon.  Crazy times!  We discussed typical runner things, and I said I would be so happy with 4:59:59... (even though my official goal was 5:12:22).

When we crossed the start line and began to run, I felt like all my nerves went away.  My shin pain was mild to non-existent and I just embraced the race.  The crowd was amazing and I tried to focus on taking it easy for those first few miles, even though I was still going pretty quick for me.  Unsurprisingly, I spent a great deal of the time thinking about running and marathons.  I observed many people wearing shirts that supported some sort of cause.  Running for world vision, Running for education, Running for people in Africa  running for voting no, running for voting yes.  I wondered what I was running for.... myself?  Seems slightly selfish when couched against all these causes, but perhaps a little more pure.  Maybe.  I guess I really don't need a "big" reason, I think I run because I can.  I'm really thankful for that... I've become more aware lately what a gift that is.

I saw several friends along the way.  Thanks to all of you for being there.  Many from the blogging community, but also others.  I believe I will miss some here, but Kelly at 7, Tony at 11, JenMeredith and Kris at 14, Ann and Jay at 16, Heidi at 20ish?, Carrie at 22, Annie at 24, and Juila, Jay, and Ann at the Finish (and Tony too!)  Also, Steph was at the finish too, and she saw me, but I didn't see her.

I spent the entire race in some sort of blissful running blur.  I was really taken in with the run; I trusted my training and just kept moving.   Honestly, a few of my beloved spectators really had to scream to get my attention.  In one hysterical moment, I waved back, but didn't figure out who I was waving too until a few yards down... I shouted back "Hey Meredith!".  Also, I saw Ann and Jay with their awesome robot costumes... but because I was expecting to see them at mile 17 (they were at 16), I didn't fully realize it was them until later.

There were tough moments of course, miles 22 to 25 were the hardest, and I did walk some.  It was very good to see Annie at mile 24!

Running really takes you in if you let it.... There are some great days of running and some bad ones.  This was a great one.   I trained, the weather was perfect... the social element was the cherry on top.  I've talked on here about how I usually run without a soundtrack (ie no music) and that's not to sound elitist... but I don't miss it; I love that brain time.  I started the day with a few layers, a fleece, a long sleeve, and some mittens, but left all of that out on the course.  In a way that's how running is... it's best when you leave a some of what you were carrying behind.

I'll do a more "numeric" oriented post in a bit, but I will leave you with this.  Finish time: 5:01:21  Not quite 4:59:59, but hey, I'm happy.



5 comments:

  1. You were almost past me before I realized it was you, so I had to yell extra loud. :) It was great to see you... I was so happy to see your progress through the race course, and so thrilled that you did so well! you're a big part of my inspiration for trying to get fast enough to celebrate my 40th birthday by running Twin Cities 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady, I am SO PROUD OF YOU! Seriously. Ripping off that amount of time is absolutely ridiculous, so congratulations on your wild PR - that's just phenomenal news!

    And now, we live to run another day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails