Sunday, July 22, 2012

Luna Chix Mini-Tri

Have you heard of a mini-tri?  I hadn't either.  I literally heard about this event about 3 days before I signed up.  It was only $20 ( a donation to Breast Cancer Research) and it was a perfect opportunity for me to practice all things tri.  The goody bag which included a water bottle and some Luna bars as well as the opportunity to open swim and have someone to watch your stuff while you swim ... made up most of the cost on this event, plus I'm happy to donate to this non-profit.  Also, they made if very clear that the donation was optional, so I could have done this for free had the expense been an issue.  All that to say that while the event was incredibly low key, the Luna chix did a great job throwing this together and I would sign up again no questions asked.    

Me at the start!
Swim (400yd): I decided to try swimming in my sports bra and swimsuit bottoms... worked fine and makes for an easier transition going forward. They taught us some tips to get into the water quickly, how to lift your legs so you can run farther, and then dolphin jump until you can no longer reach bottom.  I'm sure this approach really sped me up and I did the swim in 7:59



T1:  I tried to go as quickly as possible as I threw on a shirt, Squeezed into bike shorts and attempted to remove the sand from my feet.  (ProTip: Bring a spray bottle for that pesky sand.)  Fast as I went (or didn't) those seconds chip away fast.  This took 2:44

Bike (8 miles): Smooth sailing.  I'm loving my new road bike and I even pushed hard and passed people as I went (I got passed too).  I did the 8 miles in 27:51, which is my fastest pace yet.  

T2: Hung the bike back on the rack, apparently this takes 29 secs.

Run (2 miles):  My legs felt super heavy during the run, but I dared not walk.  I was honestly concerned I wouldn't be able to get started again.  Did this in 20:20.

Total time 1 hour 5 secs.

Now truth be told, this was in no way a regulation course, and I'm sure that some of the distances were a little exaggerated - not significantly, but enough that my paces are probably a little quicker than they 'really' were.  I didn't have my garmin with though, so I'm currently non the wiser and I can't say I mind at least sounding faster.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Great way to mentally prepare for your next tri too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails