Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dippy

One way to burn through your food budget rather quickly is spending a lot of time in the dips and spreads deli area of your grocery store.  I was recently at the nearby chain grocer and found that a 6oz tub of sun-dried tomato spread/dip was $3.99 - ouch!  The thing about these is that they are relatively easy to make at home for less.  Also, you have the luxury of knowing what's actually being putting in to them.

I recently made a spread by blending Cottage Cheese, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, a dab of mayo, a splash of milk, and a sprinkle of shredded colby.  I made a ton it for way less than 4 bucks.  If were to make it again, I would probably trade out the mayo and milk and use more cottage cheese.  I would also add some Italian seasonings.  In my brief skim of several dip recipes online many suggested using cream cheese, but cottage cheese is healthier and I had it on hand.  I took the risk flavor wise, but it seemed to work fine.

I put this spread on wrap with Spinach and Black Olives
 It would be fine to eat this as is, but I prefer most things warm if possible.  So I grilled it on my George Foreman. 

I grilled it, because things taste better grilled
This method works well for Quesadillas too. 

1 comment:

  1. I love my George Foreman, I just hate cleaning the thing. Never thought of making quesadillas on it, though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails