Sunday, February 6, 2011

Winter Lover

During these brutal Minnesota winters, such as the one we are having now, I sometimes catch myself longing for spring.  It's easy to do. 


But honestly,

I
love
winter. 

There are sweaters, flannel and hot cocoa which are all nice of course, but maybe there is something less tangible too- the spirit of winter?

As it turns out I am not the only saint paul-ite who enjoys celebrating the elusive spirit of winter...
The winter carnival has been going on 125 years.  It's Saint Paul's way of getting people out of their houses despite negative degree weather.  Whether it be to hunt for medallions or look at ice sculptures. I tried my hand at both.    (There are countless other activities as well)  Trudging out in less than ideal conditions always makes me feel like I earned something.  I take an unusual pride in the belief that "Us Minnesotans" are tough... and not just nice. 



In time the ice will melt and winter will be a distant memory.  With that these sculptures will return to the drains and rivers.  So if you are not a natural winter lover... remember it's temporary and try to enjoy the beauty while it lasts

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that looks like a fun festival. I love all the ice sculptures.

    And you're correct - coming inside afterwards to hot cocoa or hot soup is just heaven.

    Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails