Friday, February 11, 2011

Half-Marathon Plan

As I mentioned in my goals post, I will be running a half-marathon this year (or at least that's the goal).  I am actually pretty confident that I could probably go (as in run or walk) that far now - it just might take me all day.  So, to avoid that outcome, I thought I would follow a training plan.  It's a major step for me, that probably evokes more fear than the half-marathon itself.  Plans are frightful things.  They want you do all this stuff at specific times and places and that is never fun.  Though even still some people claim to like plans, and it appears they get stuff done.  Now, I get stuff done too... it's just never very systematic, and while I am so proud of running in the TC 10-miler - it wasn't a record time or anything.  So, reluctantly, I will make an attempt to follow this plan. Anyway, this plan seems pretty safe in the realm of plans - It's even called "Novice."

I have modified it some from it's original form.  I won't be doing a 10-K race (none to be found locally on a Sunday - and I work Saturdays).  I will be doing the 5K race, but a week earlier than suggested, and the final half marathon race is on a Saturday and not a Sunday.  These all seemed like pretty safe adjustments.  I also made a handful of other minor adjustments, so you can check out my individualized version here:


If any of you are runners and have time to look at it - I would love your feedback on what I am doing wrong - or right for that matter.

Oh, and here's what it looks like on my wall:


It's hard to see, but I've crossed off the first 4 days.  I am on Day 5 (of 83), and don't you worry I'm getting right on that "Rest" thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails