Friday, February 18, 2011

Very Simple, Very Healthy, Very Good

To be brief my life is full. Most of the time, I would say its full in a good way, but full nonetheless it is full.  As a result, in the last few months I have not prioritized healthy eating and healthy cooking in quite the same way I would like too. For those of you who may of followed a long on my infamous 10 dollar day plan know that I took the liberty of eating taco bell more often than was probably sane.  It was "fun" while it lasted but 10 extra pounds have caught up with me.  While some of those pounds I may have considered welcome, others I would like to see discontinue their pleasant stay very shortly.  

I'm not one to go ape-shit on dieting, I love butter and cheese way too much.  Recently though, Liz is taking a one month sabbatical from fast food or should I say drive-thru food, and I thought - wow, I need to do that too.  SO I did.  I had one "cheat" which was related to a really fun but really busy day - and I refuse to feel bad about it since I've otherwise been "good".

That being said - the end result is probably more money saving that 10 dollar day ever got me, more subway (a special little caveat) and cooking simpler meals at home. Not all meals that are simple are healthy, but this one is.

This recipe has no oil, no butter, and salt... but manages to taste good... it's like a conundrum that science will never completely unfold.  

Now here comes the challenging part, you will need to dump all of the items into the same dish.  Should I repeat myself?


 Place into the oven and bake for 60 mins.  While it's baking you can check your e-mail and do your nails, but make sure you don't forget about it.

True story: because I used brown rice, mine was a little al dente or should I say "un-done-tay"  but a little more time in the oven would have fixed that.  

Ingredients:
-2 pieces of Mahi-Mahi (need only be partially thawed)
-1/2 cup rice
-1/2 cup water
-1 cup french green beans (or more)
-1/2 cup Mango Salsa (the brand I used is from Costco)
-sprinkle of seasoned pepper

Place fish in center of baking dish, then rice and vegetables around it.  Sprinkle with a dash of seasoned pepper.  Place heaps of Salsa on top of fish.  Bake for 60 mins at 350 for white rice, and 1 hr 15 mins for brown.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. *snerk* "Un-done-tay" You just described my every single attempt to cook brown rice here in Colorado.

    The fish dish looks yummy, though. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do you add the water?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails