Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My thoughts on goals

Earlier this fall, I created two goals.

1) Eat for less than 10 dollars a day. 

2) Run in the Drumstick Dash 10 K on Thanksgiving Day. 

In one I was successful, and in one I was not. 

If you have been following along on the 10 dollar day tab - you probably already know the answer to this, but I'll answer the question anyway. 

I forfeited on the Drumstick Dash 10K. 

so yes, I kicked myself a few times.  ... but I think the more important question here is "Why?"

The reality is - Goal #2 was completely out of sync with my life right now.  For some reason I thought I could still train the same way I did for the 10 miler, even though it was going to be freezing outside - I was still working 50 hours a week and I didn't have any real plans to get a gym membership.  I maybe got out once a week - twice a week tops!   I waited until the day of the race to decide, which was the coldest thanksgiving we have had in 25 years!!!  I realized that a cold day to be skiing was probably a day that I didn't want to be running.  Or at least that ended up being a great excuse - because honestly I didn't want to go at all, even if it had been nicer out.  (I think I would have though - or at least I get to say that). 

Goal #1 on the other hand completely fits my life right now.  I found an easy way to manage it (online spreadsheet - easy to access), and in general it's incredibly achievable.  I've barely had to modify my life at all. 

Essentially, both goals were poorly conceived.  Goal #1 has been altogether way too easy.  I haven't had to stretch at all, in many instances it has encouraged me to eat fast food (so much money available! ahh!) instead of putting a "nix" on it.  While on the plus side, it has helped me to keep a record of what I'm spending (in not just the food department) - I think this goal was overly easy.  Goal #2 while seemingly easy at first - became "nearly impossible".  I think both of these goals could have benefited from a slight modification.  Maybe eating for $8 or $7 a day could have been enough to put the pressure on to avoid fast food.  As far as the race - there were options that were shorter (5K or 8K) and warmer (later in the day).  This would have been a whole lot less pressure and probably more fun orientated; while still managing to keep me in shape. 

The point of this post is that while achieving goals is important; making good goals in the first place is a critical step in the process. 

4 comments:

  1. Well congrats on completing at least half of your goals. And now when you make new goals you have the experience to make them stronger goals, so to speak. I don't blame you on not wanting to run in the cold all the time. There is snow everywhere here and I still see people out running in the 24 degree weather. I don't know how they do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the congrats and understanding. Also, I feel compelled to add here that is was 11 degrees Fahrenheit when I woke up that day - shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrr - 11 degrees is way too cold to be outside. I would have forgone the race also. Of course, I'm not much of a racer.

    :-)

    I agree with Channy. Your current data (spreadsheet) gives you the background you need to adjust your spending goals. I look forward to see what you come up with!


    On a personal "Goal" note: I joined a new gym that opened up near my house. It is a boxing gym, and I've really enjoyed going. Which makes me wonder if I've been replaced with a pod person (I've NEVER enjoyed exercise before), but hey, I'm going to go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally - I feel the only real way to consistently work out is to find something you love. I know there are Gym Rats out there, but it's never been me. Before runnign, all my previous get in shape attempts have been really futile. I do go off an on with yoga though... but tough to find a place that isn't over $15 a class !! ouch!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails