Saturday, October 2, 2010

An Apple A Day

About a week ago they had a sale on apples at Cub - $0.99/ lb.  Tis the season.  Never quite sure what a deal on Apples really should be, but I was attracted to mini-paper bags they were selling them in and put them in my cart.  As an aside, I'd love to make it out to an Apple Orchard this month, but my free time is minuscule and chances are I won't have the time and until the snow flies. 

So I bought apples.  A pretty big bag of them.  I don't know quite what I was envisioning with them, but basically they have become my go to food.  It's so easy.  I just grab one whenever I am feeling hungry and lazy at the same time, which (ahem) is quite often.  So this got me thinking - Apples are probably the healthiest thing I can eat that fits the grab-n-go model.  Not to mention they are affordable and delicious. 

It seems like the old adage "An Apple a Day ..."- doesn't only keep the doctor away (which is an expense) it's a easy/frugal/healthy option "as is".  
    
To the Apple!

An update: 
I have been crediting myself $10 everyday, and have only purchased two things: $1.00 for a bag of popcorn because I was "starving" at work.  $5.78 for Taco Bell dinner, because you know it had been almost a week.  So that puts my current balance at $33.39

The coupon detail came from both of my primary grocery stores recently - Cub and Costco.  So I will be looking forward to planning a trip that doesn't go over my budget. 

Thoughts for you

What's a reliable/frugal/healthy - grab in go food that you always turn to?  I can' think of anything better than an apple, but that doesn't mean you can't.

5 comments:

  1. It's not really grab and go but I love hummus with pretzel chips. Both items can be had for under $4 and it lasts me about a week. It's great for me because nobody else in the house likes it and it makes a quick snack when I get home starving. I keep fruit available and it tends to go fast. If the kids are in the mood they will eat all the grapes, bananas, watermelon, or whatever in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are the usual nuts baggies (I make a mix of walnuts, almonds and cashews), put them in the smaller candies zip lock bags and throw them in a box for grabs whenever I'm felling like snacking. You can also pre-make veggie bags with baby carrots, celery sticks and such with a small portion of ranch dressing in its own container, throw all that in zip lock bags and grab it for whenever you're bored.

    In short, whatever won't spoil quickly, doesn't take prep work (including defrosting) and can be easily accessible and ready to eat out the bag, is fair game on the snacking end of food. Fruits are a very good option too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've been keeping granola bars (the lowest sugar ones I can find) in case of "caught out away from home and have no food" situations. The same bar can rattle around in the backpack or purse for months and still be good to eat. A little crumbly, but still good.

    My current batch is Nature Valley Honey Oat bars from Costco. At my current rate of consumption, it will take me several years to eat them all.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great ideas. The thing about granola bars is that while filling, I don't actually like them unless they are chuck full of crap (for instance - sugar). So I either buy the crap ones and eat them, or the healthy ones and let them sit forever. Still a good grab food - for what that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amy - I must say your comment caused me to whip up a batch of hummus this week.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails