Thursday, July 7, 2011

Copy Cat: Thai Chicken Salad

The Copy Cat series will be an ongoing series in which I attempt to re-create mine and others favorite restaurant foods.  There are always exceptions, but generally food cooked at home is more affordable than food ordered out - and often times more healthy.  Learning to create the foods we crave can save dollars and sometimes calories!

So not only did I rip off this salad recipe from Panera Bread, I also ripped off the idea to do this salad recipe from Jen (a PriorFatGirl).  Hopefully, it's understood that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

A couple fridays ago I was getting together with my friend Jacalyn to hang out.  We were planning on eating dinner, but hadn't decided where yet, when she suggested we cook something ourselves.   Of course, I said "that'd be great" and suggest we try making the "Thai Chicken Salad" I had just read about on Jen's (aPFG) blog.  

Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of salad and maintain the "you don't make friends with salad" line of thinking.  I guess I see it as a side dish as opposed to a satisfying meal.  However, the "Thai Chicken Salad" @ Panera Bread has caused me to rethink that a bit.  

Here's the shopping list: 
Thai Chili Sauce  (packet I had at home)
Romaine ( $2.99 for 1 bag)
Chow mein noodles ($1.39)
Chicken ($2.67)
Red Pepper ($0.40)
Edamame ($4.00)
Spicy Peanut Dressing ($4.00)
Peanuts (in stock)
Vinegar (in stock)

The Spicy peanut dressing and edamame carry the heavier price tag on this salad, but I can assure you they were worth it.  I will also add that I'm lucky to have a local grocery store (Cub) that has a great ethnic foods section, so I'm never lacking when wanting to create recipes with more exotic flavors.

To make: 

Mix Chili Dressing - Mix one part thai chili sauce to two parts vinegar.  Whisk until even.  Drizzle chili dressing over rommaine leaves.  Add cooked edamame beans (without shells).  Add diced red pepper.  Toss together.  Lay on plate, and top with chow mein noodles, grilled chicken, peanuts, and spicy peanut dressing.

Jacalyn, who was incredibly helpful with this creation


A salad you can make friends with!

Ok, while this was a salad, it was seriously HUGE!  Not to mention hearty and delicious.  It was a very satisfying meal.   It could have been a little large in terms of portion size, but it was very well rounded and balanced healthwise.    

My back of the envelope math says that this serving was about $3.50, which I consider a little high for an at home meal, but still half of what you would pay at Panera.  

2 comments:

  1. I "copy catted" the Turkey Bacon wraps from the cafe downstairs. They were cheaper, but then I knew exactly how many calories I was consuming on a regular basis. *shudder*

    Can I also say that I love the jellybeans???

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails