Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Crazy Corn Competition

Story: I met Lauren 8 unbelievable years ago, when she was randomly assigned as my freshmen year roommate.  At the time, I thought we couldn't be more different, but somehow we managed to stay friends all this time.  Turns out - we do have a few things in common too, for instance we both like (love?) to cook.  So when Lauren decided to do a "casual" Cooking Competition with "corn" as the special ingredient for her birthday - I WAS ALL IN!  and by the way there is no casual in competition for me. 

First of all, the setting was picture perfect:


And all the standard party guests were there:  
Salsa
Beer (This was home brewed - don't let the GC label confuse you)
Brats






















This was a standout dish created by Chef Rachel - Fiesta Dip Tartlets

Before I quickly gobbled it up - My #1 Vote went here



Pasta Salad by Chef K
Corn Chip Dip by Chef Christina- delicious!

Chef Lauren with her Hearty but Summery - Sweet Corn and Burrata over Fettucini
 To ensure victory, I made two dishes: 
Vegan Veggie Soup
Which, as it turns out, works well as a Chip Dip too
"Not your Mama's" Creamy Corn by Chef Erin which is me: Ruby Leigh
 You might laugh, but a lot of positive commentary was given on the title for this last one.

Also, there was corn Ice Cream, which I thought was super creative and interesting.  Unfortunately, I forgot to snag a photo. 

To determine the "winner", guest were encouraged to vote for their favorite dishes.  My #1 went to Fiesta Dip Tartlets and #2 Corn Ice Cream (how creative!).

Drum-roll please....

Much to my delight, I took third for the Vegan Veggie Soup!  In second place, was Chef Christina with here Corn Dip, and in the undeniable first place was Chef Rachel with the Fiesta Dip Tartlets... eye catching and delish... only wished there were more.

The winner's circle!
 Our prize: a signature painted spoon to commemorate the occasion.  Perfect!

2 comments:

  1. OOooh, any chance of recipes? Those all sound fabulous.

    I have a great Hot Corn dip that is terribly addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I should put a call-out on facebook and see if I can grab a few.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails